Clear all

[Sticky] 2020 TCDYC event schedule  

RSS

BadfishSailing
(@badfish)
TCDYC Secretary Moderator
20/01/2020 10:13 pm  

2020 event schedule

GBCC (Galveston Bay Catamaran Championship)

When: June 6th

Where: El Jardin Beach

Wayward Winds

When: July 11-12th

Where: Texas City Dike

Sailing Clinic

When: August 8th

Where: Texas City Dike - $25-30 entry fee (Veterans Free)

Redfish Reach

When: September 12th

Where: Texas City Dike

Hijole
(@hijole)
21/01/2020 1:37 pm  
I'm planning on being at the clinic with my boat unless something changes with work

Karenlynn liked
ReplyQuote
BadfishSailing
(@badfish)
21/01/2020 2:30 pm  
Posted by: @hijole
I'm planning on being at the clinic with my boat unless something changes with work

Awesome. What boat do you have and are you new to sailing?

ReplyQuote
Hijole
(@hijole)
21/01/2020 3:39 pm  

@badfish

It's me Chris.  You know my boat

ReplyQuote
TexasTuma
(@texastuma)
Member Moderator
21/01/2020 4:48 pm  

If someone has ideas or questions about sailing or even rigging these things (catamarans), let us know so we can aim the clinic that direction. I cannot guarantee we will discuss the item if we get a long list of topics. If we get multiple requests on a particular topic, we will move that to the top and make sure it gets covered. This would be a good time to ask how some of these guys go down wind so well, or how do they get a catamaran to point to windward so well... some ideas that can be covered: 

• Downhaul systems - why are they important
  • Outhauls - do we really need them? 
  • Barber haulers - What are they for? 
  • Mast pre-bend vs rake
  • Jib car leads - Why does the car move?
  • Mainsail twist - benefits of adding twist
  • Traveler cars - when to use them
  • Mast rotation

ReplyQuote
ChuckC
(@chuckc)
26/05/2020 8:45 pm  

Rig Tension - general guidelines, especially when there's none form the manufacturer

Line types/brands and what is good for which application; how not to over buy or under buy

Basic rules/how to get into local regattas, etc.  There's a "barrier" here, mostly perceived I guess.

ReplyQuote
TCCATGUY
(@tccatguy)
Member Moderator
05/06/2020 3:52 pm  
Posted by: @chuckc

Rig Tension - general guidelines, especially when there's none form the manufacturer

Line types/brands and what is good for which application; how not to over buy or under buy

Basic rules/how to get into local regattas, etc.  There's a "barrier" here, mostly perceived I guess.

Next Saturday we are doing a second Saturday meet up even though the GBCC Regatta was cancelled. Come on down to the Dike and we can answer your questions.

That's on June 13th. I will be down late morning. Look for a big turquoise tent with the blue and white TCDYC flag flying near it.  

ReplyQuote
BadfishSailing
(@badfish)
15/06/2020 6:44 pm  

@chuckc

I think a lot of that is sort of dependent on the boat and how you intend to use it.

Just cruising? There's a lot of options.

Wanting to get into racing? Now those things can have some impact.

As far as the regatta entry goes, pick the one you want to enter, sign up and show up. I will say, if you've never done one before, I think Redfish Reach is the best beginner one TCDYC puts on.

Its a distance race so you don't need to worry about course layout, mark rounding rules, minimal crossings, etc.

The big plus is we typically have a good turnout of widely varying boats and abilities so chances are you'll have boats around you the majority of the way to follow or to try and mimic trim settings if you find yourself struggling

Most people treat it as sort of a fun run but there are always a couple guys that if they see another sail, its game on.

ReplyQuote
Karenlynn
(@karenlynn)
07/08/2020 10:54 pm  

@badfish

Spoiler
He not new
hahahahaha Chris will help others

ReplyQuote
Share: